Thieves take advantage of us when we least expect it. Oftentimes we open the door of opportunity unwillingly. The following are a few tips to reduce the chances of your being victimized.
- Burglars are opportunists. Secure your doors and windows before leaving.
- Give the illusion that you or someone is at home by keeping a light, television, or stereo on while away from your apartment.
- Don’t let anyone into your building you don’t know.
- Avoid propping doors open. Even if you are visiting a friend in another room, it only takes seconds for someone to take advantage of your room.
- If possible, keep your bicycle indoors, or lock it to a stationary object such as a bike rack or fence.
- Report suspicious persons or activity immediately to DPS.
Program these numbers into your cell phone
DPS Emergency (213) 740-4321, DPS Business (213) 740-6000,