When packing your vehicle
- Do not pack your vehicle then leave it parked overnight. Thieves are familiar with the "move-out" season and they target property left in vehicles parked overnight, especially in subterranean garages.
- Lock your vehicle after every trip when loading your vehicle. Also lock your residence door during each trip to the car. Valuable items can be stolen quickly while g your residence or vehicle are left momentarily unlocked and unattended.
- If you see anyone you do not know hanging around, call DPS (213) 740-4321. It could be a thief waiting for an opportunity.
If you are returning to USC during the break
- If you are returning and leaving your residence temporarily unoccupied after commencement, ask your property manager, a trusted neighbor, or DPS to keep an eye on your apartment or house while you are away.
- Remember to stop all mail and subscriptions, or make sure someone picks your mail up for you, to avoid mail piling up. Stacks of mail, newspapers, door hangers and flyers on your door signal an opportunity for criminals.
- Make a checklist of all you need to do prior to your scheduled move out date.
- Cancel newspaper/magazine subscriptions and be sure to have your mail forwarded to your new address. You can change your address with the US Postal Service online. Click HERE ! Doing this may also keep you from becoming a victim of identity theft.
Give Back to the Community - Donate Your Unwanted Property
The Department of Public Safety (DPS) and the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) have teamed up to accept, used clothing, blankets, sheets, unwanted computers, printers or other electronic devices.
Where: West side of Troy Hall on University Avenue between 30th and 32nd Street
When: Tuesday, May 12th through Thursday, May 14th from 9 AM until 4 PM.
- Computer Accessories
- Small Appliances
- Sporting/Recreation equipment
- Electronics (TVs, CD/DVD Players, etc.)
- Table Lamps/Lights
- Fans & A/C Units
- Bedding (quilts, sheets, blankets)
Sorry, no food items or mattresses will be accepted