On This Page
EH&S offers safety courses and training to ensure that all participants are: (a) aware of potential hazards in their work area, (b) knowledgeable of safety measures to protect themselves; and (c) compliant with USC policies as well as state and federal regulations.
- Consult the USC Safety Training Matrix for Research Personnel Fact Sheet to determine what safety courses are needed.
- Visit the Research Training Finder to determine if additional courses are required (e.g., Office of Compliance, Office of Research, or Contracts and Grants). Pinpoint courses rapidly by clicking on filters in the left-hand menu.
- To register for the courses, see Registration below.
- For directions to the training locations, see Training Locations.
- Email Safety Training with general inquiries or for information on a specific course.
|Annual Safety Refresher (ASR)||Varied||ASR must be provided to research staff by the Principal Investigator (PI) or designee (see Annual Safety Refresher Training memo).[ii]|
|Bloodborne Pathogens (BBP)||One hour||Anyone working with or has the potential to be exposed to human or non-human primate blood, blood products, cell lines, bodily fluids, or other potentially infectious materials must attend.|
|Controlled Substances (CST)||One hour||This training is required for all controlled substance (Sch I-V) users at USC.|
|General Lab Safety (GLS)||Three hours + independent assignment||USC faculty, staff, students[iii], and affiliates who work in USC laboratories must take this course. Attendees will receive full credit with attendance and completion of assignments.|
|Laser Safety (LAS)||One hour||Required for all laser operators|
|Principles of Biosafety (BIO)||One hour||This course covers safe practices for handling and containment of biological materials including human blood, human pathogens, recombinant DNA, and biological toxins. It is ONLY available at HSC.|
|Radiation Safety (RAM)||Two hours||Anyone working with or has the potential to be exposed to radiation or radioactive materials must attend.|
|Respiratory Protection||One hour||Use of the respirator requires occupational health monitoring. General training and fit-testing on use of the respirator will be provided. Attendees must bring respirators they will use.|
|Shipment of Biological Materials and/or Dry Ice (BHS)||Two hours||Learn steps for proper shipping of bio samples.|
|Viral Vector Training (VVT)||One hour||This course is designed to teach researchers the safety concerns surrounding the use of viral vectors.|
|X-ray Diffraction Safety (XRD)||One hour||Hands-on safety at x-ray diffraction instrument.|
|X-ray Irradiator (IRR)||One hour||Safety video + in-person instruction at irradiator.|
[i] EH&S reserves the right to cancel, combine, or reschedule safety training classes as needed.
[iii] High school students must have the USC Parent Consent Form completed, signed, and returned to their USC research advisors prior to working in USC laboratories.
University employees (faculty/staff) and students may enroll in EH&S safety training courses through TrojanLearn; see Register via TrojanLearn. All others may enroll via email; see Register via Email.
Register via TrojanLearn
To enroll in courses in TrojanLearn, complete the following steps:
- Log into TrojanLearn via USCnet. NOTE: You will not have access to TrojanLearn if you do not have a USC ID.
- Arrive at the TrojanLearn portal and select “Environmental Health and Safety” at the “USC Training” menu to the right. Alternatively, you may conduct a site search using the “Search” box at the very top to access the specific course quickly.
- Click on the safety course of interest. This will take you to the Training Details page. Click on “Request” to register. Information on specific dates/times are available here.
Register via Email
You may enroll in courses via email if you do not have a USC ID (e.g., visiting researcher/scholar, volunteers).
- Review the training calendar to find the next available session you can attend.
- Email your registration request with the following information: a. Course Title; b. Session Date; c. Session Time; d. Your Name; e. Your Advisor (PI); and f. PI Email.
- Receive confirmation of your registration.
- You may export the course to Google, iCalendar, Outlook, or Yahoo once registered.
NOTE: EH&S reserves the right to cancel, combine, or reschedule safety training classes as needed.