Are You a New Principal Investigator (PI)?
We would like to welcome you to the University of Southern California and the Trojan Family. We understand that the onboarding process can sometimes seem overwhelming, and we hope the information on this page will assist you during your onboarding process at USC.
During your onboarding at USC, we recommend that you:
1. Complete any forms necessary for protocol and inventory approval
- If your work involves potentially hazardous biological agents including recombinant DNA, potentially infectious microorganisms (e.g. viruses, bacteria, fungi), select agents, human cell lines, tissues, blood, or other primate materials, you must submit an Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC) application.
- Get acquainted with the USC Chemical Hygiene Plan.
- Register you labs and lab personnel on EHS Assistant System - EHSA
- If your work involves hazardous chemicals, you must enter the materials in our Chemical Inventory Database under EHSA.
- Develop written Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for the high-hazard processes and materials used in your laboratory.
- If you are working with radiation, it is mandatory to apply for a Radioactive Materials permit.
2. Sign up for Safety Training:
3. Make an appointment for an initial Laboratory Assessment
4. Schedule Hazmat pick-up: Online Waste Pick-up Request (you can also use this form to request waste containers)
5. Please contact EH&S if you need any help through the process. The EH&S office will provide you with forms, training, and other resources to assist you in maintaining a safe workplace in your laboratory.
We are here to work with you.
Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) HSC-SBA 329 / UPC-CAL 120
Phone number: (323) 442-2200, Fax: (323) 442-2201.
For additional information contact
EH&S Laboratory Safety @ LabSafety@usc.edu